Pentagon starts US nuclear posture review under Donald Trump’s order
The Pentagon proclaimed Monday that by the end of this year the US Defense Ministry will submit a final report on review of the country’s nuclear posture to President Donald Trump. Pentagon spokeswoman as saying that Secretary (James) Mattis has directed the commencement of the review which is to be led by the deputy secretary of defense along with the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, including interagency partners.
The statement said that the process will be finished in and sent as a final report to the president by the end of the year. The review of the nuclear posture has been ordered by Trump in a January executive action on military readiness. The January memo has called for a review as to ensure that United States nuclear restraining is modern, flexible, robust, ready, resilient and is appropriately tailored to dissuade 21st-century threats and reassure their allies
A ranking member of the House Armed Services committee and democratic lawmaker Adam Smith said and hopes the review includes as a thoughtful assessment to rethink what the priorities should be taken for a strong and affordable nuclear arsenal. He also said in a statement that in the past the nuclear posture reviews, they have considered them in depth that had played a crucial role by efforts to enhance strategic stability and prevent nuclear proliferation.
Smith said that it is important that this review will do the same and hoped that it includes a detailed assessment of policy options which would allow us to avoid a costly and dangerous nuclear arms race and also said that it is properly analyzes the enormous risks inherent in decreasing the threshold for using nuclear weapons. Even though it is planed since January on Trump’s order, the nuclear review comes at a time where Korean peninsula is of high anxiety over increasing tensions. Previously in 2010 the Pentagon conducted a nuclear posture review was in 2010.