Tuesday , May 30 2017

Google to renew ad policies after boycott by UK, big brands

Google to review its policies and said it would be making changes in the coming weeks to help customers stop their ads from appearing on objectionable websites or against offensive videos.

Google has announced that it is going to change its advertising policies after major brands pulled advertisements from the platform because they appeared alongside offensive content like extremist videos.

Google said in a blog post that it would give clients more control over where their ads appear on YouTube, the video-sharing service it owns, and the Google Display Network, which posts ads to third-party websites.

Google Ad Policies

The announcement made by the Google after The Guardian newspaper and the British government pulled advertisements from the video site, stepping up force on YouTube to police content on its platform.

The sixth largest marketing services group in the world, “Havas” also pulled out all of its advertising from Google and YouTube after the talks with Google had failed that the ads would not appear next to offensive material and some of the clients include government-owned Domino’s Pizza, BBC, and Hyundai-Kia.

Havas, the French company had spent about £175m on digital advertising on behalf of clients in the UK annually.

“Our position will remain until we are confident in the YouTube platform and Google Display Network’s capability to provide the standards that we and our clients expect,” said Mr. Paul Frampton, chief executive officer and country manager for Havas Media Group UK.

The main cause to pull advertisements from Google is ads from many large companies and the British administration appeared alongside content from the likes of American white nationalist David Duke and pastor Steven Anderson, who had praised the killing of 49 people in an Orlando gay nightclub in June last year.

In last year the company made about US$7.8 billion (S$11 billion) in advertising revenue in Britain, accounting for 8.6 percent of the total company’s sales.

The boycott signals a growing backlash against so-called programmatic trading, which automates the buying and selling of advertising online and social networks are not doing effectively to grab hate disseminated on their platforms.

In today’s world, the media-buying firms are also increasing rapidly and the power wielded by Google and Facebook, appealing that the two companies operate a global duopoly over online advertising.

Google’s United Kingdom managing director, Mr Ronan Harris, said Last year the company has removed nearly two billion objectionable ads from its platforms and also boycotted 100,000 publishers from its ad sense programme.

He also stated that the company will make changes in its policy in the next coming weeks to help customers stop their ads from appearing on objectionable websites or against offensive videos.

Facebook Comments
Rate this post

About greeshma

Check Also

Google Allo Web Client Still a Month or Two for its release

Google Allo Web Client Still a Month or Two for its release

The Smart messaging app of Google-Allo is set for the release of the Web Client ...