In separate incidents of fire on Friday, the canteen of an aided school in the Royapettah was gutted in an LPG leak triggering a cylinder blast and the automobile spare parts shop.
The canteen of an assisted school in Royapettah was gutted in an LPG leak.
Chennai: In separate incidents of fire on Friday, the canteen of an aided school in the Royapettah was gutted in an LPG leak triggering a cylinder blast and the automobile spare parts shop. A distress call was made at around 6 am from the CSI Monahan Girls HSS campus located on Peters Road, Royapettah. An old building, which was used as a pantry-cum-kitchen of the school mess was on fire when the fire brigade turned up at the spot a few minutes later.
For more Andhra Pradesh News: Click Here
After an ordeal of 30 minutes, the fire was controlled and put out by the fire tenders from Triplicane, Teynampet, and Egmore. The field officer M. Sagayanathan (Station Fire Officer- Koyambedu) observed that the fire wasted the entire facility, as a lot of wood was present in the old tiled roof building. Initial investigations revealed that the workers who had used three gas cylinders on a Thursday had failed to notice the leak through the day. “The gas had built up through night resulting in the blaze. It is fortunate that the fire accident happened ahead of the working hours,” said a police official.
The other fire accident was stated in an automobile spare parts shop located on Ellis Road. The early morning fire charred the two-wheeler spare parts. Three fire tenders from Triplicane, Egmore and Vepery were pressed into service and firemen prevented the flames from spreading to the other buildings in the narrow lane. Preliminary investigations revealed that fire was sparked by an electrical short-circuit at the shop. An expected loss of `20 lakhs may have been suffered in the accident. No casualty was reported here as well. Cases were registered in both incidents.