About 800 villagers of K. Kotapadu mandal in the Visakhapatnam suffered from suspected food poisoning on Sunday midnight.
The guests consumed non-vegetarian dishes like special biryani etc.
Visakhapatnam: About 800 villagers of K. Kotapadu mandal in the Visakhapatnam suffered from suspected food poisoning on Sunday midnight. According to the District Medical and Health Officer Dr. J. Sarojini, about 2,000 people from about 40 surrounding villages, including Kothabhoomi, Pathavalasa, Srungavaram and others, had lunch at Mr. Gokada Govinda’s house in Marrivalasa on Sunday.
The guests consumed non-vegetarian dishes like special biryani etc. At about 11 pm, some villagers started an experiencing abdominal pain, vomiting, and loose motions. As the number of victims grew into the hundreds in the ensuing hours, they were all shifted to the hospitals in K. Kotapadu, Kothavalasa, and Pendurti for treatment in ambulances.
For more Andhra Pradesh News: Click Here
Dr. Sarojini, V. Madug-ula MLA B. Mutyala Naidu, and RDO B. Padmavathi had monitored the medical services offered to the patients at the various hospitals.
Special camps were conducted for the victims at K. Kotapadu Hospital as well as at the primary school in Marrivalasa on Sunday midnight and Monday.
While some villagers suspect that stale meat as the reason for the food poising, adulterated oil or contaminated water sachets to be the cause of food poisoning. Dr. Sarojini said that the reason for such violent food poisoning cannot be arrived at without proper investigation.
“We asked the food safety officials to collect the samples of water sachets as well as food items that were served at a lunch. The majority of the patients received treatment on an outpatient basis. There were no serious cases and there is nothing to be the worry. All these symptoms were primary in nature and just required a simple outpatient treatment,” she added.
By Monday night, except 30 patients all the remaining patients were discharged from hospitals. The food safety officials’ report is expected to arrive in the next three days. The RDO Padmavathi directed the officials to ban the sale of the water sachets of the particular company, which were supplied at the lunch until the food safety officials’ report comes in. The villagers heaved a groan of relief in the evening as all the patients were out of danger.